Congratulations to July’s Recipe Contest Winner Daniel!
A subtle hint of smoky flavor paired with poached quail eggs makes this trout salad a mouth-watering summer dish.
- 2 handfuls Wild Rocket (Arugula)
- 1 Leek
- 150ml Coconut cream
- 1 ½ tbs Organic Raw Nori or Dulse flakes
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ bunch Parsley
- 180ml Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 small Lemon
- 1 Wild Trout
1. Peel the sweet potato then using the peeler make thin slices, the length of the vegetable, and steam these wafers for 90 seconds. Carefully lay the steamed slices on a food dehydrator tray and then dehydrate at 125°F for 2 hours or until crisp. When ready, set aside.
2. Soak wood smoking chips, preferably hickory, in a bowl of water for ½ hour.
3. Pick parsley leaves and put into the blender with 150ml of the Olive oil, ¾ tbs of the Seaweed flakes and the juice of half the lemon. Blend until completely smooth and set aside.
4. Slice the leek down the centre and then cut into 1cm wide semi circles. Wash and then sauté in the remaining Olive oil. Once soft, add the coconut cream and remaining Seaweed flakes and cook down for 2-3 minutes. Cover, set aside and keep warm.
5. Prepare the smoke house as necessary with the drained woodchips and bring to smoking point. Once heavily smoking, adjust the setting so temperature is at 155° F and place the Trout into the smokehouse. Smoke until well cooked, anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the fish. Allow to cool slightly and then remove the skin, carefully fillet and debone. Remember most of the small trout bones are digestible. Halve each fillet to create 4 evenly sized pieces. Cover and keep warm.
6. In a shallow frypan fill with 1 inch of water and juice the remaining half of the lemon. Gently poach the quail eggs (2-3 minutes) ensuring the yolk remains runny.
- On a large plate place half a handful of Wild Rocket in the center.
- Spoon ¼ of the leek mixture (3-4tbs) onto the rocket.
- Carefully pile a small handful of the sweet potato chips onto the leek.
- Place a piece of the Smoked Trout onto the chips.
- Top the Trout with 2 poached quail eggs.
- Drizzle the parsley oil around the assembled dish, serve and enjoy a combination of rich, earthy, and most importantly tasty flavors.