Congratulations to Kraig Menard, the winner of our Paleo Recipe Contest!!
Try out this recipe and tag us in your pictures.
Check out more from “The Cajun Caveman” at
Recipe: Old Time Cajun Braised Chicken Gizzards
Number of Servings: 8
-1.5-2 lbs Chicken Gizzards – cleaned and opened
-1 medium Onion -diced
-1 small Bell Pepper diced
-2 cloves of Garlic – minced
-2 Tbsp Parsley- chopped
-4 Tbsp Olive Oil (or other Paleo-approved oils)
-2-3 cups salt-free Chicken Stock
-Salt-free Cajun Seasoning
Preparation & Cooking Instructions:
- In a pot/dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp of oil on medium to medium-high heat.
- With the chicken gizzards in a large bowl, sprinkle them with Cajun seasonings to taste.
- In batches, lightly brown the gizzards and move them to a plate or bowl.
- Return pot to stove and heat remaining oil.
- Add onions and bell peppers and sauté until the vegetables appear tender. (2-3 min)
- Add garlic and parsley and sauté on the stove for one minute longer.
- Return gizzards and juices to the pot.
- Add about 2 cups of stock. (Use enough stock to almost cover the gizzards, but not completely).
- Turn up the heat to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and let everything cook on low (simmer) for about 4-5 hours.
- Stir occasionally and keep an eye on the pot so the liquids don’t reduce to burning.
- You should have a thick gravy.
- Serve with prepared cauliflower rice.